Lets see where do I start??? Early Sunday morning Eric became quite sick. I was up during wee hours of the morning trying to help him and comfort him. So Sunday morning when I opened my eyes and the clock showed 7:00 I wanted to cry.... we have church at 9:00 and I am in charge of printing and handing out the Relief Society bulletin so I had to bust myself out of the warm cozy bed. The children were all awake and I walked down the hallway and told them all that it was time to get ready for church. I didn't think any of them heard me although Zach made the comment, "ah why church". So I went back down the hall and began getting ready myself. A while later Olivia came in my room all dressed for church. Wow! The youngest child has the best listening ears. Imagine that! Anyway I did her hair and we went down the hall to find her some snacks for church. I wasn't really that surprised to find the 3 other kids still seated in the family room and still in their pj's. UGH! I didn't get upset with them though. I simply turned off the T.V. and told them all that I was so sad they chose not to listen to their Mom the first time. I told them that I guess they were sick, and so they needed to get in their beds. That's where they stayed the rest of the day. Except meals I did let them get up to eat. I heard lots of unhappy grumbles and my reply was oh man I am so sorry you chose not to get ready for church the first time I asked. They were all three just devastated. So I told Livie how pleased I was that she got dressed all by herself the first time I asked. I told her I was so happy and I was going to take her somewhere special on Monday. Guess where we went???
A pedicure and manicure for Olivia! She was thrilled and I took a couple cute pictures of the big event. Afterward she said Mom can you buy me a pack of gum? I said sure, as she loves to have her own pack. When Kimberlee and the boys realized all the fun we had and what they missed out on they were sooooo MAD! I hope this turned out to be a good teaching moment for them. I can't force them to go to church, I can't force them to choose the "Best" way. What is important is that they learn for themselves and they develop testimonies of their own. Enjoy the pictures of Little Miss Olivia's special day!
She said "Mom I need to grow bigger so I can reach the massagers". She had to sit so far forward that she couldn't feel the massage chair.

The expression says it ALL!

She is showing off her pretty nails and her prized possession; her own pack of gum!
9 comments:
What a fabulous idea! You are so good!
That's hilarious! I wonder if they will all be up and ready for church before you are next week :0>
LOL That is a great idea Leah. I love how you handled the situation. Way to go! Its sad that we have to learn the hard way. I remember my mom always had to wake me up in the mornings for church and some days I would grumble. but I grew out of that and now I know that is just what I do every Sunday. I love going and it makes me feel good that it is not a temptaion not to go, just cause I dont have my mom there to make me. Love your story!
Yep, sick people shouldn't go to church.
I love seeing Livie in the big chair. She is so beautiful!
Very clever!! I'm taking notes! Looks like Livie had a blast.
Sounds like you have been reading the Love and Logic books. This "method" works wonders. I used it on Makenna ALL the time. I'm sure it's harder with a two year old, but let me tell you -- she gets the point.
Will you take me to get my nails done? I'm always ready for church on time. :)
I love those kind of teaching moments. It's so comforting to know I am not alone. Thanks Leah for sharing.
This is the greatest story! A perfect example of fine parenting! I bet you that the kids will start getting ready : )
Post a Comment