Thursday, July 3, 2008

Battle Wounds

Eric had a reconstructive ankle surgery performed last Thursday June 26th. A Dr. of Podiatry who happens to be in our ward performed the surgery. He was very meticulous and did a fine job sawing off the inner ankle bone on Eric's left foot. Then he drilled a few holes on the bone inside to promote scar tissue so the piece of cartilage in there would seal over so to speak. And then because he hadn't had enough fun with the inside ankle bone he made a nice incision on the outside and found some tendons that were pretty much shot so he tightened those up for him too. All in all Eric did great during the surgery. Coming out of the surgery is always a different story for Eric. He enjoys that deep sleep so much that he would rather stay there. So instead of the surgery being outpatient Eric got to stay in the deluxe suite room 203. He enjoyed his time there recovering and absolutely loved the morphine pump. The nurses at the Mountain Vista Medical Center were top notch. The next afternoon I was able to bring him home. Thanks to Elisa, Nikki, Andie, and Charlayne for taking the kiddos for me. It has been one week today of recovering. I feel like a new mother with the all nighters I'm pulling. I figure it's easier to stay on top of the pain rather than try and play catch up. The drugs didn't seem to work too well so the Dr. prescribed a bit heavier dose today at Eric's checkup. The Dr. removed the splint and ace wraps and this is what we found:This is one doosey of a surgery for sure. I love all the anatomical lines so the Doc knew exactly where to cut and what to watch out for. I also love the Doc's initials on the foot so we knew for sure he was cutting on the correct foot. He also wrote YES on the left foot. Very proficient if I say so myself. Sorry for the blurriness of the pictures, I should have remembered to bring my real camera. But these are better than nothing. Dr. Allen also had his student intern snap some pics during the real deal so as soon as I get those back I will add them on. (If I can stomach looking at them.)

No comments: