Sunday, September 7, 2008

Blackbeard: A Spectacular Musical!

Eric and I have had the privilege of attending many of Rob Gardner's performances. He is a music director and he has written this new musical, Blackbeard.Many local talents are starring in the play. Some you may have heard of are Tyler Maxson as Blackbeard himself.Linsey Maxson, Tyler's beautiful and talented wife, starred as Mary. Jordan Bluth, Jere Van Patten, and Royal Baysinger are more of my favorite local actors. These actors and actress are phenominal, their voices are AMAZING! We have seen them perform at many of the Hale Center Theater performances. Their voices are breath taking. If you have the chance to see it you will be in for a treat. It is showing at the Herberger Theater in Phoenix from now until September 27th. After the play the cast changes their costumes and comes out to greet all the fans! I think I was Lynsey & Tyler's #1 fan! Lucky me to get a quick picture.

We saw this play last year at the MCC Theater Outback. It was the first showing of Rob's new play. Eric and I both loved it so much but seeing it at the Herberger Theater was doubly awesome, the costumes, the sound, everything really was so much better.
I had a cool experience relating to one of these actresses I want to share. I needed some time out with girlfriends. I had called a few friends and none of them could go out. My plan was to get pedicures and go out to eat. I couldn't find anyone free and I really needed a pedi so I braved it and hit the salon "solo". When I got there I chose my color and sat in a chair right next to a young pregnant woman. She was so friendly and we hit it off right away. We talked about so many things it was crazy how much we were able to talk about in that 1 hour. I believe that I was meant to meet her and that is why I had the courage to actually go get a pedicure all by myself. We introduced ourselves by our first names only at first, her name was Linsey. She told me all about a horrible accident that took the life of her father a few years back. She told me he died doing what he loved which was motorcycling. I asked what his name was and she told me Troy Brinkerhoff. I said no way, Troy Brinkerhoff was the Dr. that performed my first surgery. He took my appendix out back in 1992. She said yes that was my Dad. What a small world it is. Then we started talking about life in general and what we like to do. She asked about my kiddos and I shared about Kimberlee and what she enjoys doing. I told her that we were really trying to find a "wholesome" place to enroll Kim in for theater and music lessons. She said I do that, and I was shocked. I said you act? She said yes, I just finished the Scarlett Pimpernell at Hale. I went to that play so I asked which character she was Margarette St. Just. She and her husband Tyler were lead roles in that play. I told her I loved that play so much I saw it twice and that I thought she was amazing. She said I'm going to be in another one soon and that I should see it. So Eric and I went to that play, which was none other than "Blackbeard" at the MCC Outback. Now because of one hour I have an amazing new friend and an in to enroll Kimberlee in her theater group. It starts in October and I feel confident that she will be taught wholesome theater. We are all so excited for Kimberlee to be trained by one of the best. Isn't life just grand? I think it is pretty grand.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that's an amazing story!
Glad you got the courage to go.

Stoddard Studios said...

Holy crap. That's crazy! We know Lynsey! We were in the same ward when we first moved to Mesa. I used to clean her moms house every week. Me and and jenae took singing lessons from her. And, her dad also opereated on my mom several times. And also operated on Jackie. He's the one that cut her cancer out of her colan and the lumps out of her boobs. My paretns went to his funeral. It was sad. He was pretty young. ANyway, we love that family!

I also saw her and her hubby in Blackbeard's Ghost last year. It was SO good. Her husband played the role so well. The both have amazing voices!

You should have called me. I'm always up for a petti!