Monday, November 15, 2010

Marriage...is what brings us here together today....

On December 25th, 2008 my Mom gave me a gift for Christmas that I didn't appreciate at the time. Here is what she wrote at the front of my book... Dear Leah, this is a wonderful book. I wish I'd discovered it 34 years ago. It will bring you much happiness. Enjoy! Love, Mom

The Book is called: The Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands; By Dr. Laura Schlessinger. Dr. Laura holds a postdoctoral certification and licensing in Marriage, Family and Child Counseling from the State of California.

I didn't appreciate the book because I thought to myself, "What kind of a gift is this Mom?" Why would you give me a book about how to take better care of my husband for Christmas. Now 2 LONG years later I know why. I think I'm understanding just a glimpse of why I had to acquire this Cancer. The many things I'm learning, the many tender mercies I've been receiving are all directly correlated with the humbling of my soul. So today I say to my sweet Mom. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving me THE BEST gift a Mother could give her daughter. I read the book today while laying in my hospital bed. I can't thing of a more important thing to do with my time either. I have a recommendation for every woman in this world.... READ THIS BOOK! It WILL change your life! You won't be sorry you spent the time. Here is a segment from the book that Dr. Laura shares from one of her callers. "Then like a slap in the face, it hit me: I was taking advantage of him without considering his feelings. I always considered my girlfriend's feelings because I didn't want to offend her, or make her mad, or loose her friendship. How stupid is that? I didn't have the same consideration for my own husband! It's like I wasn't caring about what he thought or felt." How truly sad this comment is. But it's true I fall into this category more often than not. So to each of my children, friends, family members. READ THIS BOOK!

1 comment:

LucyH said...

Thanks for the book recommendation. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now. What hospital are you in and how long are you in there?