Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What I have learned...


I have something to admit that I'm not very proud of. Since I graduated from seminary I haven't applied myself to daily study of the scriptures. I would do really well some days and others not so great. I was having some problems in our home life and was challenged by a friend to complete the study of the Book of Mormon in 40 days. I really didn't think it was even possible but following the guidelines she gave me I began reading. As I read I discovered I was becoming almost addicted to the stories. I felt as if I was living in the time of the prophets of old. I put myself many times in the exact circumstances of them and wondered how I might react or do things. Through this study I learned some important things. I learned that we as a people need to become more Christlike. We can become more like him by learning more of him. President Gordon B. Hinkley said, "There is nothing we could do of greater importance than to have fortified in our individual lives an unshakable conviction that Jesus is the Christ, the living Son of the the living God." I also learned that just because fathers of old chose unwisely doesn't mean that one righteous son or daughter can break that cycle by choosing to come unto Christ. This is done by studying about him, and praying for strength. I also learned to beware of pride. It is an evil all around us, even today. To become more Christlike in all of our dealings with our fellow men will indeed break the horrible cycle of pride. In my studies I would find the time passing by and me reading beyond the daily recommended scriptures. I began reading on Mar. 1st and completed the sacred words on Mar. 30th. I challenge anyone who is having personal struggles or needs questions answered to partake in a daily study of the Book of Mormon. For in the pages of this book, you will find the answers and peace you are seeking. This is my testimony!
Leah

6 comments:

Cicily said...

That's awesome Leah. You make me want to be a better scripture studier.

Ashlee Martin Smith said...

You're amazing. Thanks for that testimony. It's inspiring.

Unknown said...

I am feeling inspired too. I've struggled too with scripture study. Thank you for your testimony!!

Tami Ray said...

Leah, I am the same as you, I haven't really read the Scriptures all the way through since High School. It hit me last year how bad that was. So I started in January and I read every night. I am half way through. I am so proud of myself and I am excited I have no desire to give up, I was scared I would give up. I know I could read more but I have a hard time understanding what I read so I have been pacing myself. Can't wait to say I read it!

Summer said...

that's awesome you had such a powerful experience reading your scriptures all the way through. i'm sure it has helped bring peace into your life...something we should all try!! love you!

charmort said...

Wow, Leah! That is awesome. I admire so many (women especially) who really KNOW the scriptures. I know we all can if we try. Something I need to work on. What guidelines did you follow?