Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tribute to Great Grandma Carpenter

99 Years and still baking cakes from scratch!

I received word this morning that my sweet Grandma Thelma Carpenter had finally passed away. She has wanted to pass for some time now, but the Lord has seen fit to keep her here on earth for 100 years. My Grandma Carpenter Donna, Grt. Grandam on her 100th Birthday, and Aunt LaDeane

Wow! I learned so many things from Grandma. When she lived in Mesa right across the street from the temple I would visit her often. She taught me about dedication, and to develop a love for temple service and worship. She would spend all day everyday in humble worship at the house of the Lord. What an example for her posterity. I also had the privilege of taking Grandma to her Dr. appointments on a number of occasions. She was always so sweet to me and I remember many conversations where she taught me about life in general. One such occasion she told me, Leah, just because there is a MD behind the name doesn't mean he knows everything. You should always pray to be sure. That taught me a great lesson because she is right, God knows everything! She also taught me to be afraid of mammograms, lol. I'm not really afraid now, because I've already had one so I guess when I am in my 80's it will hurt much worse. I also remember Grandma's homemade bread and jam. It was a treat going to Thatcher and having Grandma make me a piece of toast. Grandma's toast always tasted the best. My children remember Grandma for her pecans. Kimberlee, Grandma, Zachary, & Derick
Grandma came to visit on Thanksgiving Day. Devon Owens & Derick(Just a month before her 100th Birthday!)

She was a pro at shelling pecans and we received many bags of shelled pecans from her. Grandma, I'm so glad you are "HOME" now! I love you so very much! Until we meet again!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The gospel gives us such wonderful knowledge about the whereabouts of our loved ones when they leave this earth. What a comfort that is. My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

Leah, you don't know my but I went to school with your mom in Jr. High and Highschool. We were best friends. I was trying to find her and saw that your brother had passed away. I am so sorry and sad that we have lost touch so much that I didn't know. Would you please give her my email. It is ladawnhalbison@hotmail.com. I would love to visit with her.

kati said...

That is awesome! I love your pic on your header. You all look great!