Sunday, February 21, 2010

Scriptures & Satan

So as a family we are trying to be more diligent in reading our scriptures together. It was so hard to keep a regular schedule of studying scriptures as a family because we have too many schedules. So I decided that I would have to sacrifice my most precious commodity and get up at 6:00 am. UGH! I hate mornings but I love reading and studying the Book of Mormon with my family. So up at 6:00am I go every morning. I have noticed some very significant changes in our family life through this regular study of scriptures. First there is less fighting amongst the children. There is a sweet spirit of peace and love that we can all feel each and every morning. What a wonderful way to start off our day. Second I have seen a greater love for reading the scriptures, and other books for that matter. I have found our children curled up on the couch or in their beds reading both the scriptures and their own choices of books. Third, I have noticed a more powerful force of Satan in our home. Why is it that such an awesome powerful book and effort read by our family would cause Satan to increase his temptations among us individually? I am not sure why, other than we have some children that are reaching some very important stages in their lives. I feel very strongly about keeping up with this special time even if it is in the wee morning hours. For the mere fact of teaching our children that we as a family can withstand the pressures and temptations of the cunning one. We can learn to command him to leave. We can learn to choose to be best, closer as a family and individually stronger.

3 comments:

Susie said...

IF I were to have the chance to "do it all again" - I would be so much more diligent with scripture reading. I like listening to the scriptures on CD while following along with a pencil to mark as I'm listening. I like hearing the correct pronunciation. As far as Satan goes - he is slithering everywhere.

Summer said...

That's awesome! It's wonderful that you can see all the positive changes that have been happening due to your dedicated reading. Keep it up!!

Unknown said...

I'm feeling inspired to be more diligent in our family scripture reading too. Thanks for posting this.