I want to take a minute and express my thanks and appreciation for my Grandma Carpenter. I was never one that people looked at and said, "wow you have quite the talents." When I entered the Young Women program in my church I began to develop certain talents. I tried my hand at several different things but always felt like I didn't quite measure up. Or probably more that I was just too big a perfectionist to have any errors. Sewing was one of these disasters. I decided I would sew and it became STRESSFUL in every sense of the word. So when I got married I talked my Grandma Carpenter into holding a painting class. You see, she is a tole painter
extraordinaire. She has the skills and the know how to create anything that has to do with paint and a paintbrush. I would meet weekly with her and learned such things as, keep the paint brush straight, only load a brush at the tip (what, the whole brush isn't supposed to be covered in paint???), clean brushes thoroughly after painting, always paint the back - NO MATTER WHAT, and don't forget to sign your name on your work. It was a joy to be with my Grandma and an even greater joy to learn a talent, something I felt that I was half good at. It was a fun time each week with snacks, Cousins, Aunts, and Grandma. Thank you Grandma for sharing your talents with me. I am most grateful. Now I can decorate my home for much less, I can relieve stress, and most importantly I feel good about myself when I'm successful.
D&C Section 82:18; And all this for the benefit of the church of the living God, that every man may improve upon his talent, that every man may gain other talents, yea, even an hundred fold, to be cast unto the Lord's storehouse, to become the common property of the whole church.
“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me."
Here is what I have been busy doing with the "talents" I learned from Grandma!


7 comments:
Super cute! I'll take some for my yard, that would be great.
Come over and you can make some of your own for your neighbors to take :)
I love the yard decor! You did a great job, Leah. I too, learned to paint from the same Grandma, and I love it. I love that I can decorate my home with stuff that I have made. Great Tribute!
Umm...where do you live? Your house style looks awfully familiar. And I could have sworn I saw you at Sonic one night recently. The one on Lindsay and McKellips. Do you live around there?
Great stuff! I love it! Painting is one of my "treasures". I think it's fun and I enjoy creating something pretty and decorative! Nice tribute and Ditto to Grandma!
Great to hear from you. Wow, your family is beautiful. I can't believe you have a 12 year old. Time flies. Seems like yesterday we were torturing our YW leaders. I'll check back often.
Love it Leah! They turned out great! you are a great painter and yes that goes to a most talented Grandma of ours! I am so glad I can soemwhat paint and hope my kids and grandkids will want me to teach them too!
Post a Comment