Sunday, April 18, 2010

Disneyland 12 year old style

Derick was turning 12 years old in 2 months and not motivated the slightest in finishing his Faith in God for boys goals. I decided it was an important thing for him to earn and tried many different things to encourage him to want to earn this award. When he turned 12 on April 16th there would be no more opportunity to earn this award. After much fighting I finally decided to give him something he wouldn't want to pass on. A trip to Disneyland on his birthday with 3 of his best buds. When I told him this idea he was fully supportive of the idea and began that very second setting goals and passing off requirements for the award. It was marvelous how quickly the attitude changes. He went from completely against anything Mom and Dad asked him to do, to basically doing everything he knows he should do all on his own. He completed the requirements about 2 weeks before he turned 12. Whohooo! I was one happy momma. We loaded up and drove to CA on Thursday afternoon. We spent all day at Disneyland on Friday, and on Saturday we spent all morning at the Beach and then headed home. It was such a fun, fast paced time. Did I mention fast paced??? I'm used to walking through Disneyland with a family. Usually pushing a stroller and dragging slow walking kiddos. With four 12 year old boys it was almost impossible to keep up with them. They would go from ride to ride clear across one park and then back to the other side. I think I walked an equivalent of 30 miles. Eric and I are both sore, sore, sore. We feel about 40 years older than we are. But we are glad for the experience of a life time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow that sounds like so much fun, but I don't know how you did it. I think it would've killed me. Great idea!

Ashlee Martin Smith said...

Seriously, I bet those boys think you guys are the funnest parents EVER! I know funnest isn't a word, but it was so fitting in this situation!! I'm so glad you got to go! Yay for Disneyland!